problems with mod_auth_pam

Derek Musselmann phrac at disflux.com
Thu Jan 5 15:13:42 PST 2006

Hello all,
I have a working version of Apache (1.3.34) and am trying to use
mod_auth_pam to allow access to a directory.  The modules all load
and I get no error messages.  When I try to authenticate using my
username/password I get this in the Apache error logs:
Permission denied: access to /dspam/ failed for 192.168.1.100,
reason: authentication error

It will absolutely not accept my password and I don't know if there
are any logs someplace else telling me why.  I have tried different
browsers (Mozilla, Firefox, IE, Safari) with the same result.

My /etc/pam.d/httpd:
auth       required    pam_unix.so     debug
account    required     pam_unix.so     debug

And my httpd.conf:
<Directory "/usr/local/www/vhosts/dspam">
   Options +ExecCGI
   AuthPAM_Enabled on
   AuthName "DSPAM"
   AuthType Basic