format disk in bsd

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Thu Jan 5 14:18:01 PST 2006

Hieu Nguyen Danh wrote:
> Hi everybody
> I have about 20Gb unused space and  40Gb of  NTFS on my HDD an I want to
> change them to ufs . But everytime when I tried with cfdisk-linux   or
> sysinstall => configure => fdisk (as root )  it is said that I am not
> allowed to write disk table (or something like "disk read only" )  But I am
> root , why did it happen? someone show me solution plz?

Are you booting FreeBSD from a 3rd partition on that same disk, and
then trying to run these tools? I don't believe that is allowed. You
need to boot from CD or floppy to do formatting and partitioning on
the same drive that FreeBSD normally boots from.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348