Postgresql 8.0 again

Mike Jeays mike.jeays at rogers.com
Thu Jan 5 12:44:33 PST 2006

I just re-installed postgresql80-server from the ports, and get exactly
the same error as from the package.  This is on my 5.4 machine, were I
previously had a working copy.

I have tried changing max_connections in the sample config file (setting
it down to 1 just to see if even that would work). I also tried the
following kernel setting changes (without a reboot), with no
improvement.

sysctl -w kern.ipc.shmall=32768
sysctl -w kern.ipc.shmmax=134217728
sysctl -w kern.ipc.semmap=256

Error message from initdb

creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... FATAL:
could not create semaphores: No space left on device
DETAIL:  Failed system call was semget(1, 17, 03600).
HINT:  This error does *not* mean that you have run out of disk space.
        It occurs when either the system limit for the maximum number of
semaphore sets (SEMMNI), or the system wide maximum number of semaphores
(SEMMNS), would be exceeded.  You need to raise the respective kernel
parameter.  Alternatively, reduce PostgreSQL's consumption of semaphores
by reducing its max_connections parameter (currently 10).
        The PostgreSQL documentation contains more information about
configuring your system for PostgreSQL.
child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: removing data directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data"

Any more help will be very welcome!