Compiling Ports...

Crispy Beef crispy.beef at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 5 11:49:52 PST 2006

Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 1/5/06, Crispy Beef <crispy.beef at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Am trying to get my head around the ports system, specifically custom options
>>when compiling.  For example I would like to install apache 2.2 under it's own
>>dir in /usr/local, say /usr/local/apache22.  If I was rolling my own version
>>using the configure script I would do:
>>
>>./configure prefix="/usr/local/apache22"
>

> I believe the default prefix can be changed, but I'm unclear as to why
> you would want to change it. The port installs a package that you can
> then remove easily with the pkg tools. Why would you want to do this?

Mainly as having Apache in it's own directory with all of it's files together
makes it nice and easy to administer, when I compile stuff from scratch I
always like to keep things clean, for example:

/usr/local/php-5.1.1
/usr/local/mysql-5
/usr/local/apache13
/usr/local/apache22

I'm not too bothered having it all put in the default locations specified by
the port, my Gentoo system does this in the same way, just wondered if there
was a clean way to do it. :-)