how can I find out which md device I just used ? (mdconfig)

user user at dhp.com
Wed Jan 4 22:24:19 PST 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Malcolm Kay wrote:

> On my system (5.4) mdconfig reports the created device to stdout:
> So:
> 	memdevice=`mdconfig -a -t malloc -s10M`
> sets the device name in $memdevice.

Thank you very much - I have just verified that this works the same way on
FreeBSD 6.0.  I appreciate your help.

I am curious, I am doing two things at one here - setting the variable
_and_ configging the md device.  What is the best way, in a shell script,
to also test to make sure that the device configured properly ?

If the device does not configure properly, all I see is that I get a empty
variable ... would it be appropriate to `text -z` that variable to see if
it is zero ?  Or is there a better way to approach that ?

Basically I do not want to act unless I am sure that the mdconfig actually
happened, and there really is a variable defined...