Kernel Compilation...

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 11:39:00 PST 2006

On 1/4/06, Crispy Beef <crispy.beef at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Nikolas Britton wrote:
> > To rule out hardware problems rebuild the generic kernel using the
> > virgin GENERIC kernel config file:
> >
> > 0. If you've messed with /etc/make.conf change it back to the defaults!
> > 1. su
> > 2. cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> > 3. rm -r ../compile/GENERIC
> > 4. config GENERIC
> > 5. cd ../compile/GENERIC
> > 6. make depend
> > 7. make
> > 8. make install
> > 9. reboot
> >
> > If you can't get to step 8 you have a hardware problem (or FreeBSD
> > wasn't installed correctly, see step 5 below):
>
> First time I tried this I had another seg fault (error 11) so did a complete
> install from the CD again (kernel developer options).  It failed once during
> that compile, then the second time it worked just fine.  I then did my own
> config cutting out all the stuff I don't need and it's compiled just fine.
> Strange...
>
> Thinking about it, this is the only time I've got the sources from the CD.  I
> always grabbed them from an ftpe server via sysinstall, maybe the newer
> sources were causing problems like the guys mentioned earlier?
>
> Got a version of MemTest86 running too and that went for a couple of hours
> without any errors showing up, will run it overnight to be sure.
>
> I guess the next thing is to have a go at make buildworld with options in
> make.conf and see if it barfs then.
>
> Thanks for the help. :-)
>
> Paul

Still sounds like a hardware problem. Maybe the laptop is overheating,
compiling software is always hard on a system. Also I don't think
Memtest86 will show you anything even if your ram is bad. The best way
to find out is to just change it out if you have extra somewhere or
remove part of it and/or shuffle it around.

Check for thermal issues, maybe build the kernel with the laptop in
the refrigerator or something :-). If you do something like that make
sure you don't get condensation buildup when you take it out of the
cold and into the warm... but the humidity is always low in the winter
so it shouldn't be to much of a problem.