Setting up a FreeBSD gateway

Ruben Bloemgarten rubenl at bloemgarten.demon.nl
Wed Jan 4 10:10:30 PST 2006

1. I assume you are running some kind of NAT ?
2. allow udp/tcp traffic out on port 53 to the dns servers you want to use.

This will pass the dns requests through the gateway.

If you want to use the gateway as a dns forwarder, you need to install
something to do this. A third alternative is to setup your own dns server on
this machine using something like bind or djbdns.

Regards,
Ruben

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-dns.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-routing.ht
ml

these pages should tell you what you need to know.