Free BSD install tutorial I wrote

Josh Soza jsoza at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 3 11:50:17 PST 2006

Allen wrote:

>I wrote this quite a while ago and I've posted it to the docs list before and
>it got a good repsonce, but I've seen a couple install questions on here so
>I'm going to link to it again for this list. I don't think there is an easier
>to follow installer help anywhere. Not arrogance, but I did do very well with
>it in making it easy as crap to install:
>
>http://www.antionline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259335
>
>You don't have to sign up to read this.
>
>-Allen

First off this is NOT a flame.  But I found your tutorial extremely hard
to follow.  First what does a user do if they can't boot from CD?  Are
there any preinstallation tasks like: inventory of hardware, ps/2 mouse
or serial, size of partitions, user accounts/groups(other than root).  I
personally find it easier if you have a plan rather than shooting from
the hip.
You should have just told people to use the FreeBSD book or goto the
handbook online.
Another thing is that most people don't want to know or figure out how
to install an operating system.  They just want that puter thing to
work.  They don't care about disk partitions, video cards, or mouse
daemons they just want it to work.
You say:

"I don't think there is an easier
to follow installer help anywhere. Not arrogance, but I did do very well
with
it in making it easy as crap to install"

I guess thats anitonline.com for yah.
What about http://www.freebsd.org/handbook as Frank said.
You should join the core team with your humbleness.  Then in a later
post on this thread you go onto say "Lots more but I'm not going to
waste space."  For that I applaude you ;)  Again this isn't a flame just
being brutally honest.  I think Frank said it best "Good luck on your
future writing, I hope that I didnt come across to strong on this post,
But it is what it is."

-josh

p.s.  Hello World!  Sorry I'm a newbie...Had to get that out  :)