startup script not working

Beech Rintoul akbeech at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 23:30:26 PST 2006

On Monday 02 January 2006 10:14 pm, Mike Esquardez wrote:
> Hello.  I have been reading the docs but i can see what i'm doing wrong.  I
> also was to read this
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-star
>ting-services.html but I am not running a service, just some command that
> need to be run on start up.
>
> I have a shell script that works when i run it as root. I have moved it to
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d and chmod +x but it is not running when the pc starts.
> Is moving file to usr/local/etc/rc.d/ and chmod +x all i have to do?
>
> Any ideas would be great. many thanks to you.
> Mik

You should run your script from cron. See man 5 crontab.

Add the following to /etc/crontab

@reboot		root  /path/to/your/script

Beech

Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech at gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://akparadise.byethost33.com