Source Update problems

Adam Nealis adamnealis at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 2 16:30:12 PST 2006

--- Tim Holmes <tim at unixtechs.org> wrote:

> I've been trying to update source, and ports late and I can't connect.
> I keep getting a message saying that connection is refused:
>
> # make update
> Parsing supfile "/usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile"
> Connecting to cvsup8.FreeBSD.org
> Cannot connect to cvsup8.FreeBSD.org: Connection refused
>
> There's nothing to prevent this.  I don't block anything, and the only
> thing that changed was that I'm trying to make this same machine my
> wireless gateway as well.  I think the only thing I added was:
>
> options         BRIDGE
>
> I have the following in my /etc/make.conf:
>
> SUPFLAGS=-L 2
> SUP=/usr/local/bin/cvsup
> SUPHOST=cvsup8.FreeBSD.org
> SUPFILE=/usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
> PORTSSUPFILE=/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
> DOCSUPFILE=/usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile
>
> At one point I had a different CVS server listed, but I got the same
> message.  Does anybody have any sort of ideas?  I can't even install
> packages.  That BRIDGE option couldn't have done this, could it?  I can
> access anything else with no problems.

Can you

ping cvsup8.FreeBSD.org

Can you

telnet cvsup8.FreeBSD.org cvsup

(I can). Maybe when you tried the server was too busy or down for a few
minutes. Here's a trick I learned from

<http://portmanager.sunsite.dk/ports-foundation-building.html>

Install the fastest_cvsup port, then in /etc/make.conf, set

SUPHOST=`/usr/local/bin/fastest_cvsup -Qc uk`