Kernel Compilation...

Robert Slade bsd at bathnetworks.com
Mon Jan 2 08:36:37 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 16:15, Crispy Beef wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just joined this list.  The last time I used FreeBSD was with 4.6-RELEASE, so
> a while ago now.  I have just installed 6.0-RELEASE on my old laptop and have
> been configuring the system, am onto the kernel at the moment, have followed
> the traditional method in the FreeBSD handbook.  All works fine (make depends)
> until I do 'make' then I get a compilation error as follows:

> /usr/src/sys/modules/ata/atapci/../../../dev/ata/ata-chipset.c:617:
> internal compiler error: Segmentation fault: 11
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/ata/atapci.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/ata.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/LAPTOP.
>
> Last time I had an error with USB Mass Storage do I disabled it in my config
> hoping the kernel would compile, am starting to think this is something a bit
> more serious.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> --
> Paul

Paul,

Welcome.

If you will take some advise from a 'newbe' I suggest that you use the
new method - I have done a kernel compile quite a few times with no
problems using it.

The only time I had problems with compiling was when I got the config
file wrong. I did find that after a failed compile I needed to clear out
the old obj libraries before trying again.

Rob