Help! Hard disk problems

Anthony M. Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 07:35:17 PST 2006

On Jan 2, 2006, at 10:31 AM, Anthony M. Agelastos wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2006, at 11:28 PM, Anthony M. Agelastos wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> In doing some routine items on my FreeBSD box, it started behaving
>> oddly. I rebooted and to my surprise, I started receiving many
>> messages displaying information regarding that /usr has issues. It
>> puts me directly into single user mode and tells me to run fsck
>> manually. When I run fsck all by itself, here is what it tells me:
>>
>> ** /dev/ad0s1f
>> ** Last Mounted on /usr
>> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
>> UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=496000
>> UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
>>
>> CLEAR? [yn]
>>
>> This is the first time that I have ever run fsck and I have no
>> idea what this message means or what the best course of action on
>> CLEAR to take. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated
>> (FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE if it helps). Thank you all so much for your
>> assistance.
>>
>> -Anthony
>>

> After not getting any feedback, I decided to do
>
> fsck -y
>
> This returned my machine to usable. Before doing this while I was
> just hitting "y" to the questions I did not understand, one of them
> mentioned that it had to create a lost+found directory and after a
> while that the directory was out of space. It asked me the question
> to expand. So, I hit yes. Anyways, after all is said and done, that
> filesystem has 500MB of more free space than it did before (it
> doesn't take into account the fact that /usr/src is now empty and
> the size of lost+found). What does the expand option do? Can I
> safely delete lost+found? Like I mentioned before, this is my first
> time in going through these types of issues and I have not found
> any documentation that I can fully understand on fsck and what it
> does. In any event, thank you all for your assistance.

Also, what methods are there in backtracking what the cause of the
errors could have been? How can I tell if there is something wrong
with the hard disk (bad blocks that cannot be used anymore, etc.)? I
suppose what I intend to gather by these questions is if this drive
can still be trusted, or if I should start looking at getting a new
one. Any insight would be appreciated.