Help with Difficult Startup Script

Mike Esquardez mikeala3 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 2 00:24:40 PST 2006

Hello, I am trying to make a script that runs the following commands. This
is difficult for me because I dont know how to switch users. Currently these
are the commands that I am trying to script.

# fetchmail –d 1000 & (this needs to be run as username mik)
# su -l root
# /home/mik/myfilter & (this needs to be run as root)

I know I have to make the files executable and .sh extension then put them
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d to get them to run at startup but I am not sure how
to make these commands run as different users.

Is there a way to have something like this? (i know runas isnt a real shell
command)

#/bin/sh
runas "mik" fetchmail &
runas "root" /home/mik/myfilter &

Any help would be very much helpful. mik