Cacti (Was: Re: "Load Balancing": How Busy are the servers?)

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sun Jan 1 22:12:20 PST 2006

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
>> I just installed cacti, which seems fairly useful for 'long term views' of
>> how a server is doing
>
> Have not played with it, but have read good/favorable comments about it.
>
> I would be nice if you did a mini report of your early impressions
> later.. In particular I think it would be good to know how easy it is to
> setup and what it covers.

'k, I'm terrible at 'reports', but ... to be totally honest, this has
gotta be one of the nicer pieces of software I've played with as far as
documentation *especially* for OSS ...

I installed it out of ports, initially directly on one of our servers,
mistakenly thinking I needed to do one install per server ... ended up
moving it into a vServer so that I can easily move it around as I get more
powerful servers, instead of having it tied to a specific machine ...

On all our other servers, I just had to install the net-snmp port, to give
it something to talk to ...

The hardest part about setting things up with setting up snmpd, but ended
up running snmpconf -i to do this (snmpconf -g basic is apparently
slightly easier too) ... once I built the initial snmpd.conf file, I just
copied that to the other servers, instead of building one for each ...

The Cacti port ends up with a short message that tells you step by step
what needs to be done ... it has one "error", in that the crontab entry it
tells you to create appears to be wrong ... does Linux support a 'user to
run as' arg within their crontab?

After that, so far, I've just used the 'default net-snmp' settings that
come with Cacti ... haven't had a chance to dive into snmp yet, to figure
out what else can be monitored ...

I currently have it monitoring CPU, Load, Traffic and Memory Usage

You can setup "Graph Trees", so you can group Graphs together .. ie. all
the CPU Usage graphs for all (or groups of) servers, so that you can
compare them ...

So far, at least, definitely a tool I'd recommend ... so far, seems to
work well ...

----