Help! Hard disk problems

Anthony M. Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 20:28:22 PST 2006

Hello all,

In doing some routine items on my FreeBSD box, it started behaving
oddly. I rebooted and to my surprise, I started receiving many
messages displaying information regarding that /usr has issues. It
puts me directly into single user mode and tells me to run fsck
manually. When I run fsck all by itself, here is what it tells me:

** /dev/ad0s1f
** Last Mounted on /usr
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=496000
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CLEAR? [yn]

This is the first time that I have ever run fsck and I have no idea
what this message means or what the best course of action on CLEAR to
take. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated (FreeBSD 6.0-
STABLE if it helps). Thank you all so much for your assistance.

-Anthony