STressing a new server...

Michael Vince mv at roq.com
Sun Jan 1 18:36:19 PST 2006

Gary Kline wrote:

>	Folks,
>
>	When I bought this bare-bones box and plugged in "stuff"
>	it took several days of figuring out what benchmark and
>	other utilities to run to stress it.  After a few weeks of
>	pushing the load to 70+, the burning-in was a fair indicator
>	that the HW would last.  After 4+ years, no prob.  Now I
>	have a new box, custom built.
>
>	Unfortunately, I've lost (or forgotten!) the same of the
>	*.sh script and some of the utilities.  So what should I
>	be running and with an example of args?  Last time I believe
>	there were 5 or 6 stressors.
>
>	Also, what's the memory testor utility calld?  I have
>	a gig of DDR in this new puppy, and want to be sure that
>	every last BIT is good.
>
>	Help much appreciated!
>
>	gary

There is Peter Holm's kernel stress test suite written to stress the
hell out of FreeBSD
http://www.holm.cc/stress/
As far as I know there are still some outstanding panics in FreeBSD it
can trigger.
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.0R/todo.html

Other then that theres just plenty of stuff in the benchmarks dir of the
ports tree.

Mike