How to convert BIND to TinyDNS?

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Sun Jan 1 10:57:58 PST 2006

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005, James Long wrote:
>> Message: 9
>> Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:42:50 +0100
>> From: Kristian Vaaf <vaaf at broadpark.no>
>> Subject: Re: RE: How to convert BIND to TinyDNS?
>> To: Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at toybox.placo.com>
>> Cc: questions at freebsd.org
>>
>> You got some messed up spaces, or maybe it's me?
>>
>> Anyway. I totally agree to what you're saying. I am running BIND
>> myself and I am not changing. But this person who manages my
>> upcoming NS2, he is the one running TinyDNS, and he is among
>> the smartest software developers I know of, so his reason to use
>> TinyDNS is not to be questioned.
>>
>> Thank you.
>
>If we can't question his reasons, how about his ability?
>
>If one of the smartest software developers you know doesn't know how
>to do a zone transfer and write a shell script to massage the text
>file into whatever form the software of his choice requires, then I
>think you need to get out and meet more software develpers.

It doesn't require a lot of skill to read the djbdns documentation to learn
how to use the tcpclient program to do zone transfers from any
authoritative name server that allows the transfers.  This will do a zone
transfer for example.com creating the tinydns data file.

tcpclient $server domain axfr-get example.com data data.tmp

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on.
		-- William S. Burroughs