Choosing cpu type when building kernel (stupid one i know)

Steel City Phantom scphantm at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 23:13:14 PST 2006

in bsd 6, i have to recompile the kernel to add atapicam.  ok, fine.
the part of the config file that gets me is this:

machine         i386
cpu             I486_CPU
cpu             I586_CPU
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           GENERIC

the machine i386, i get.  all intel PC's since the 386 have used a
common basic instruction set and the developers just want to build in
something in case intel pulls an Apple Computer on us.

the rest is what i don't understand.  486 isn't mentioned in the NOTES
file, 586 is just pentium, and 686 is pentium pro.  I have a P4 1.4 gig
intel chip in my system, what should these settings be?  if i remove 486
and 686 does that give me any performance advantage or are these
settings defaults because they are ment to be defaults and i should just
be quiet about it.