Haven't been able to make world in about a year

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 12:07:15 PST 2006

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 13:17, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> OK, but you were still confused, because mergemaster doesn't need a
> populated /usr/obj to do its thing (only a source tree).  You can run
> it at any time, before during or after your buildworld.

Well, I learned something new then. Thank you.

> > 	make kernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE		[8]
> > 							[1]
> > 	<reboot in single user>				[3]
> > 	mergemaster -p					[5]
> > 	make installworld
> > 	make delete-old
> > 	mergemaster -i					[4]
> > 	<reboot>
> >
> > I just don't see where it says "make installkernel
> > KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL. It used to. That's where I got my original
> > procedure from as the handbook at the time was somewhat confusing.
> > Now the procedure in the handbook is better.
>
> 'make kernel' = 'make buildkernel' + 'make installkernel'
>
> Kris

OK, I can see that I totally about different make targets and just read
that as being half a step - reading it as really being 'make
buildkernel'. However, the 'make buildkernal' 'install kernel' steps
are more explicit and I prefer that. Possibly I looked on it as similar
to 'make world'. Maybe that's why I never said anything about it in the
past.

Thank you again.

Don