Help Sun Blade 1000

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Tue Feb 28 11:32:48 PST 2006

Sparcs are a bit different.  A sparc will boot from tape, CD-ROM, net,
floppy, hard drive, pretty much and device.  However, you have to boot from
the right record or slice, etc on the media.  Setting the boot device in
the prom won't guarantee a boot from that device, only that it will try
that device as the default.

Sparcs are fussy about what they will boot, you can try booting right from
the prom.  If you have the ok prompt you can type
boot cdrom

You get more control in the prom's old mode where you can type
b sd(0,6,0)
to boot from a SCSI CD at id 6

As I said the sparcs are fussy, and may not boot if your cd is not burned
correctly (depending on what software you used to make the image.)

You can google for more information on booting the sparc, there are other
UNIX's that do boot on these, so I know it should be possible.  You may
have to keep trying.

         -Derek