6.0 problems

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Feb 27 15:30:33 PST 2006

Greg Goodman wrote:
[ ... ]
> When freebsd6.0 boots it will hang at the part that says
> Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
>
> The system is running a Supermicro motherboard with dual 3.2 gig Xeon cpus
> and 2 gig ram. Also running an Adaptec raid 5 card.
>
> If we boot up in safe mode it boots fine.

Ah, that was a useful bit of information to mention.  Booting in safe mode
disables ACPI and the APIC, which also means that SMP will not be enabled.  You
might try hunting around for an updated BIOS for the motherboard, or try
tweaking the power-management/ACPI section of your BIOS.

However, if you can boot a working system using safe mode, you can also try to
use cvsup to update the system to 6.1-PRERELEASE, and see whether that works
better for you.

Otherwise, someone with more knowledge than I have will need to take a closer
look; you could help this process by putting your dmesg output on a webserver
somewhere and posting a link to it.  If you build a new kernel, you can include
mechanisms to break to a debugger, which might prove useful in that you can get
a backtrace showing where the kernel is wandering off when it hangs.

--
-Chuck