apsfilter question/problem

Denny White dennyboy at cableone.net
Mon Feb 27 06:52:30 PST 2006

On Feb 17 Mike Jeays spake forth boldly:
> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 11:09 +0000, Denny White wrote:
>>

>> I read the article at Onlamp about printing for the impatient.
>> Installed apsfilter and samba on my old hp netserver so I'd
>> be able to print to an hp 722c deskjet printer connected to
>> an xp box. Gimp-print was also installed. Ghostscript was
>> already installed. I ran /usr/local/share/apsfilter/./SETUP
>> & thought I had it whipped. That's where the fun started.
>> Apparently I've missed something along the way, since the
>> print job never gets sent to the xp box. I also found out
>> at linuxprinting.org that the recommended hp 722c driver
>> is pnm2ppa. There was only one section in the install script
>> that mentioned that driver, 10) PPA printer, so I chose that.
>> It plugs it into the setup, but when I try to print a test
>> page, I get ERROR: additional filter 'pnm2ppa' not found.
>> I found the driver at linuxprinting.org & downloaded it.
>> How do I go about using it? Is there a way to compile it
>> into ghostscript? I have ghostscript-gnu-nox11-7.07_14 &
>> the apsfilter setup script found it & didn't complain.
>> Do I need to install another more complete version? I know
>> if I install ghostscript-afpl, I'll also have to recompile
>> & reinstall apsfilter with the proper make options. When
>> I choose the more generic just plain deskjet printer driver,
>> the script accepts it, and when I try to print a test page,
>> there's no complaining about the driver like when I try the
>> ppa driver. Test page is created, supposedly sent to the
>> xp printer with even a speed, average around 950 kb/s, but
>> I see where it only goes to stdin. I'm definitely not a
>> programmer, but another filter, ghostscript, something, has
>> to relay it to stdout, is that correct?
>> So, I could use some pointers on this. If anyone interested
>> in answering needs more info, I'll be glad to plug it in to
>> a reply. Like smb.conf, apsfilterrc, & so forth. Thanks.
>> Denny White
>>

> This combination worked fine for me.

> # Printcap file: Added 2005-04-25 based on pnm2ppa suggestions.
>
> lp|ascii|unix:\
>                :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
>                :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
>                :if=/home/mike/bin/pnm2ppa-filter:\
>                :mx#0:\
>                :sh:
> #!/bin/sh
> # printcap-filter
> TMP=/tmp/pnm2ppa.tmp
> cat >$TMP
> ch1=`head -1 $TMP | cut -c 1`
> if [ "$ch1" = '%' ]
> then
> cat $TMP | /usr/local/bin/gs -sDEVICE=ppmraw -q -dNOPAUSE -r600 \
> -sOutputFile=- - | \
> /usr/local/bin/pnm2ppa -i - -o -
> else
>  cat $TMP | /usr/local/bin/enscript -B -q -p - | \
>  /usr/local/bin/gs -sDEVICE=ppmraw -q -dNOPAUSE -r600 \
>  -sOutputFile=- - | \
>  /usr/local/bin/pnm2ppa -i - -o -
> fi
> rm $TMP

I've fought this for some time now. I've got samba installed,
along with creating lpr on the xp box where I want to print
to the deskjet 722c. Since I added the remote printer section
below in /etc/printcap, users can no longer print locally,
only root. I checked the ownerships on /var/spool/output/lpd
files and nothing's changed from before the printcap addition.
Also, the file shows up on the xp box in the printspool, but
never prints.

#
lp|local line printer:\
 	:sh:\
 	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
#
remote|sample remote printer:\
 	:rp=HPDeskJet2:\
 	:rm=dancer:\
 	:sd=/var/spool/samba/remote:\
 	:if=/root/hold/printcap-filter:\
 	:lf=/var/spool/samba/remote/log:\
         :af=/var/spool/samba/remote/acct:\
         :mx#0:\
 	:sh
#

Also have apsfilter installed but am not using it in printcap or
in the script that filters lpr's output. The system reports the
filtering script above successfully filters the file I want to
print too.
Another thing, only way I can browse shares from the xp box to
the fbsd box is to usr security = share in smb.conf. I've tried
user with & without encrypt passwords in smb.conf & tried the
xp box with & without enableplaintextpassword & can't get it to
let me browse. I mention these things too, because I thought it
might shed some light on what I'm doing wrong. Below are the
pertinent settings from smb.conf without all the extra comments
and commented outstuff.

[global]
    workgroup = WHEEL
    server string = Samba %v, running on %h
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = no
    smb passwd file = /usr/local/private/smbpasswd
    obey pam restrictions = no
    hosts allow = dancer, badboybox, mobile1

    load printers = yes

    printing = bsd 	# tried without uncommenting out
 			# and with bsd & cups

    passdb backend = smbpasswd

    socket options = TCP_NODELAY

    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
    add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %u
    delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
    delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/deluser %u %g
    delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes

[dennyboyshare]
     comment = dennyboy's home directory
     path = /home/dennyboy
     valid users = dennyboy
     public = no
     writable = yes
     printable = yes

Thanks for any & all forthcoming help. This thing's really
gotten confusing. If there's any other info someone would
need me to provide, please let me know.
Denny White

GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A