Newbie Alert : pkg_add and packages Q (do not want to compile)

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Sun Feb 26 18:29:24 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 08:15 -0600, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 February 2006 21:59, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > >
> > > Since you want to replace it with a newer version, why are you
> > > worried about the dependencies. The newer version will take care of
> > > that. Of course, if you delete xterm and don't replace it, then you
> > > will have to handle the dependencies.
> >
> > So, I do pkg_del -f xterm and then a pkg_add -vr xterm-206_1 and it
> > will upgrade xorg-clients if needed? If yes, then Good.
> >
> No. It would only upgrade xterm. Xterm isn't dependent on xorg-clients.
> It's required by xorg-clients.
>
> So, that brings up a question. Are you really trying to upgrade xorg and
> xterm was the example you used? If that's the case, my advice would
> have been different.

I'm trying to upgrade xterm. But I get what you mean.

> > > Use Windows instead. All that takes is money.
> >
> > Why the sarcasm?
> >
> be fixed, forgiven, but not forgotten. I'm sorry for the sarcasm.

No Harm done and once again. I thank you and everyone else for the help.
I'm learning and I'm RTFM and I'm reading the book I bought and I'm
googling so I'm not expecting spoon feeding. :-)

> I hope that by this time, you've received enough information to do what
> you wanted to do.

yes.. I finally found out how to do it and that one of the quirkiness of
FreeBSD is to ignore it's "pkg_delete statement of -> Dependencies..
Will delete anyway"

> One thought just occurred to me. What is the output from 'uname -a',
> mine is:
> FreeBSD pres1750.mylan.net 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #0: Wed
> Feb  8 08:20:10 CST 2006
> root at pres1750.mylan.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PRES1750-i386  i386

# uname -a
FreeBSD BSD6.home.net 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov  3
09:36:13 UTC 2005     root at x64.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

> You'll see that it has "FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE" in it.
> If yours has "FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE" in it. Then you can't install a
> package using "pkg_add -r 'some package'" for a package built for
> "FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE". You need to have 6.0-STABLE in order to install
> packages built for 6.0-STABLE.

Yeah. I finally understand that. So, in actuality, BSD _was_ fetching in
the correct place. Unfortunately for me, when I passed the Env variable
to the shell, it wasn't at the correct FTP PATH. Which messed things up.
(BSD is really a different animal. In Gentoo, there's no such thing as a
"release" only "stable" or "unstable/bleeding" which we mark as either
x86 or ~x86)

And to get from FreeBSD-Release to FreeBSD-Stable is done through
compiling ports. But I also found out that we can do it via packages.
just CVSup ports, put in the correct ENV PACKAGESITE variable and then
the best tip I found was to install portupgrade.

Now it's just

#portupgrade -vPP <packagename>

 and it will fetch and only fetch Binary Releases. (it's so intelligent
that it will downgrade to the next latest binary which is available in
the ftp site.)

Thanks again.

--
Ow Mun Heng