(Semi-OT) Understanding whois info....

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sun Feb 26 17:04:45 PST 2006

Norberto Meijome wrote:

>I run a whois microsoft.com and I got back the interesting info shown below.
>
>I tried from another of my FBSD boxes located half the world away and
>got the same result. Neither internic.net nor who.godaddy.com show this
>'interesting' data, they show the correct one.
>The data seems to be coming from Verisign's whois servers....
>
>:)
>
>---
>Whois Server Version 1.3
>
>Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
>with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
>for detailed information.
>
>MICROSOFT.COM.ZZZ.IS.0WNED.AND.HAX0RED.BY.SUB7.NET
>MICROSOFT.COM.WILL.LIVE.FOREVER.BECOUSE.UNIXSUCKS.COM
>MICROSOFT.COM.WILL.BE.SLAPPED.IN.THE.FACE.BY.MY.BLUE.VEINED.SPANNER.NET
>MICROSOFT.COM.WILL.BE.BEATEN.WITH.MY.SPANNER.NET
>MICROSOFT.COM.WAREZ.AT.TOPLIST.GULLI.COM

<snipped>

>what gives?

These are just joke entries ... the owners
of the above 2nd level domains registered
DNS servers with the names shown, and
some "whois" services search for the entire
string instead of just the "end of it" ...

It's been around a long time---also, you're
not the only person to mention it.  See:

http://www.arjunprabhu.com/blog/archives/2005/05/08/google-hacked/

I tried to register "google.com.is.preferred.by.our.users.at.daleco.biz"
quite some time ago, but apparently my registrar has machinery in
place to catch that, or else I just didn't do it right ....

Kevin Kinsey

--
Furbling, v.:
	Having to wander through a maze of ropes at an airport or bank