anyone recognize this panic?

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sun Feb 26 11:24:30 PST 2006

On Saturday 25 February 2006 22:13, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:08:47PM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> > Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > >You need to at least get a traceback from the panic, and
> > > preferably a crashdump.
> > >
> > >Kris
> >
> > Probably should pass this onto some devs. It seems like a null
> > value was passed for locking a mutex in the OS, which is important.
> > Having a traceback would be good though... but at least mentioning
> > that the issue laid with the re (?) kernel driver would be a start.
>
> Unfortunately without a traceback the panic string is useless since
> it gives you no clue about how the system got into that state.  This
> kind of panic is often a secondary effect of some other problem.

I can cause this to happen almost at will with a Netgear GA311. It only
happens at boot. It will reboot after the panic just fine and, for me,
it only happens repeatedly after I do a restart boot from XP. It has
never happened if I shut the system down first. I have moved many GBs
of distfiles and packages with out causing a panic.

I haven't found a way to cause a dmp when it panics. At least, what I
have read doesn't work. So, how can I get a dmp, which I can provide a
traceback?

Kent

--
Kent Stewart