Haven't been able to make world in about a year

Kristian Vaaf vaaf at broadpark.no
Sat Feb 25 12:23:20 PST 2006

At 16:59 24.02.2006, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>On 2006-02-24 16:45, Kristian Vaaf <vaaf at broadpark.no> wrote:

>Kristian, you would have to show us your cvsupfile.  It's possible that
>you are missing some of the sources, so the source tree you download is
>not exactly buildable.

>Not quite.
>
> >> Sort of done like that. Looking at the FreeBSD handbook it says:
> >>
> >>    make buildworld
> >>    make buildkernel KERNCONF=ARBA
> >>    make installkernel KERNCONF=ARBA
> >>    reboot
> >>
> >> Note: There are a few rare cases when an extra run of mergemaster -p
> >> is needed before the buildworld step. These are described in
> >> UPDATING. In general, though, you can safely omit this step if you
> >> are not updating across one or more major FreeBSD versions.
>
>This is also suggested in /usr/src/UPDATING.
>
> > The point is I've been having this problem for so long, and none of
> > the developers are willing to help me.
>
>Patience, please.  It's not the end of the world.  There is a sane,
>logical explanation why you can't build the system.  We just have to
>find it :)
>
> > This is one of the reason I think, why most people these days seem to
> > go (back) to DragonflyBSD.
>
>This is very uncalled for.  If you really want help, then please spare
>us the (in my opinion) unsupported, unwarranted rhetoric about why
>FreeBSD is not for you.  The helpful people of this list don't deserve
>this, and you don't deserve the flames such inflammatory material can
>start.
>
> > I certainly am going to.
>
>Ultimately, this is your choise to make, of course.  We can't force to
>use something that you don't like.
>
>Before that happens, I'd like to see at least the following though:
>
>     - Your cvsupfile
>
>     - The error messages you get.  The URL in the previous paragraphs
>       that is supposed to show the errors, is not fetchable:
>
>           $ cd /tmp
>           $ fetch http://www.home.no/hedhnta/result.txt
>           fetch: http://www.home.no/hedhnta/result.txt: Not Found
>           $

Dear Giorgos,

Here is my /etc/cvsupfile:

*default host=cvsup.no.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6
*default delete use-rel-suffix

src-all
ports-all tag=.
doc-all tag=.

I'll have result.txt back on that URL first thing tomorrow morning.

I'm not going to DragonflyBSD because FreeBSD works just fine at the
time being,
except this though it isn't killing me.

Talk to you later,
Thanks!