release in cvsup supfile

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 21:01:20 PST 2006

On Friday 24 February 2006 22:35, Peter wrote:
> --- Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/24/06, Michael P. Soulier <msoulier at digitaltorque.ca> wrote:
> > > Hey people,
> > >
> > > I notice that in my supfile, I have this:
> > >
> > > *default release=cvs tag=.
> > >
> > > I'm using FreeBSD 5.4. Should I change the tag to 5.4-RELEASE? I
> > > don't
> >
> > want
> >
> > > ports that aren't going to work on 5.4. Is that a concern?
> >
> > No, but you need to have at least two cvsup files, one for the
> > system and the other for ports
>
> Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  I have only one file for
> everything:
>
> *default host=cvsup1.ca.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/var/db
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
>
> src-all
> doc-all
> ports-all tag=.

It works the way you have it. However,You can split that into three
files. You're following 5-STABLE, there are times when you don't want
to be downloading src, unless you're planning to run buildworld cycles
a lot. Instead of cvsuping ports, you could use portsnap. Once it's run
the first time, it's a lot, lot faster way to upgrade the ports tree
than using cvsup.

Don