Areca ARC-1120 vs Adeptec 2820 for RAID 6

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Fri Feb 24 20:53:44 PST 2006

On Feb 24, 2006, at 5:16 AM, Ashley Moran wrote:

> I'm trying to decide whether to go with an Areca ARC-1120 or an
> Adeptec 2820
> for a database server.  The Promise SuperTrak EX8350 is out of the
> question
> because it lacks FreeBSD support.

I would wonder about Adaptec support.  Areca is officially supporting
FreeBSD (and Solaris 10 and others).

I have a 12 port PCI-X version of the Areca but not yet installed.
My correspondence with Areca before I got it was very good.  They
were quite responsive.

I have been using a lot of adaptec boards over the last 5 years
(2100S x 2, 2200S, 2410SA x a few, 2400A in one machine). They work
fine but Adaptec provides no support for FreeBSD and the released
utilities may or may not work so well as FreeBSD matures but the
utilities stay at old versions...

best
Chad