10 years of "The Complete FreeBSD"

dgmm freebsd01 at dgmm.net
Fri Feb 24 05:10:42 PST 2006

On Friday 24 February 2006 01:00, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> Ten years ago today, on 24 February 1996, I submitted for publication
> the final version of the first ever book on FreeBSD, "Installing and
> Using FreeBSD".  It was later renamed to "The Complete FreeBSD".
>
> I have always retained full rights to the book, and for today I've
> decided to release it for download under the Creative Commons
> license.  See more at http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/CFBSD/.

I was introduced to FreeBSD by a friend.  He spent quite a bit of time in
email and on AIM helping me and I spent a *lot* of time hunting down WWW
pages and references.  I'm still learning.

But, I can say with "Complete" confidence that the one resource which helped
me the most was my purchase of The Complete FreeBSD, 4th Edition.  It's still
a very useful reference now and beginning to look a bit dog-eared after being
thumbed through so many times ;-)

You're contributions to the community are obviously greatly appreciated by
many more than just me as evidenced by the other replies already in this
thread.

This is probably the ultimate icing on the cake with regard to online FreeBSD
documentation.

Thanks not only for a great book but for now making it available to the whole
community.

--
Dave