10 years of "The Complete FreeBSD"

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 23:28:12 PST 2006

On 2/23/06, Tillman Hodgson <tillman at seekingfire.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 11:30:27AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> > Ten years ago today, on 24 February 1996, I submitted for publication
> > the final version of the first ever book on FreeBSD, "Installing and
> > Using FreeBSD".  It was later renamed to "The Complete FreeBSD".
> >
> > I have always retained full rights to the book, and for today I've
> > decided to release it for download under the Creative Commons
> > license.  See more at http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/CFBSD/.
>
> Thank you Greg, I appreciate your gift to the community.
>
> I have a copy of the 4th Edition (O'Reilly Community Press version) on
> the O'Reilly shelf in my computer room and it's proven valuable many
> times. I wish the 10th anniversary edition well and that that the
> community shares back :-)

Ditto! I too own a 4th edition print, It's in the server room along
with a copy of UNIX Power Tools, BSD Hacks, Absolute BSD, The camel
books, and a few others I can't remember.... I try to buy every major
BSD book, even if it's just to help support the community.

Thanks for all the hard work you've done to build and support the
community and thanks for open sourcing the book, karma bonus points
for you!

--
BSD Podcasts @ http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/