FBSD 6.0 locking up.

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Thu Feb 23 18:09:25 PST 2006

Hi all,

I have a production server that has been online for a few months now running
FreeBSD 6.0. Until now it has been performing flawlessly. It is on a brand
new Dell PE1850.

A few days back, at a clients request I opened port 3306 to allow remote
access to mysql.

3 times today I had to reboot the server because it was not 'alive'.

Fortuneately, I have a remote access card on this server which will perform
a cold start independantly of the OS. It also has a remote terminal
emulator, which I tried to access each time the system frooze, and I could
not even type to the terminal let alone login.

A ping from another local machine simply shows 'host is down'

I have since blocked port 3306, and the machine (and all deamons) have been
running for 4 hours now without issue.

Do you think opening port 3306 and the crashes are coincidental, or related?

Has anyone has similar expierinces? If so, what was the resolve?

Thanks all,

-Grant