Newbie Alert : pkg_add and packages Q (do not want to compile)

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Feb 22 19:45:54 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 21:02 -0600, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>  I'm from a Linux (gentoo linux) background so I'm not a
> >rough diamond.
> >

> "rough diamond"  ... I like that idea. :D

haha..

> As mentioned by one other poster, "-f" will force the deinstall.

Not an option for me. Bad experience with ignoring deps. (but seems like
it's the norm for BSD folks?)

> >I've even tried sysinstall but that only lists xterm-203 as the package
> >to install. (I suspect this is because its packagesite is
> >packages-6-release)
> >

> Yes. IIRC, you can change "RELEASE_NAME" with sysinstall and
> this would likely cause sysinstall to give you a different list of
> packages.

Ah.. Didn't know that.

> I'd look into installing and using one of the more advanced
> package management tools; perhaps portupgrade.  portupgrade
> can be told to utilize binary packages instead of building from
> source, and would be pretty automagic, a la "emerge" in Gentoo,
> I suspect (though I've not used Gentoo and therefore can't say
> for certain).

I'm trying it now. http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200501/freebsd_apps.html
has good info on it.

reading the man pages also provided some good clues . eg: "-PP" would be
the option I would want to pass to it. (get binary packages and _only_
binary packages)

> You're welcome; HTH.

Much great help. Thanks.

BTW, how come this list does not use the "reply to list" and always adds
the org sender in "to" and puts the list in CC? What's the norm here
anyway?

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!