help i need a help

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Wed Feb 22 11:16:58 PST 2006

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

> As Mike points out, you do *not* need X or any GUI tools to do any of this.

Well, you don't need a GUI to access the files and share them in the
sense of raw file share functionality. I think perhaps the OP was
getting at "sharing" at a higher level, like Windows User A being
able to hand off an Office file to FreeBSD User B and User B being
able to whip out OpenOffice and edit that file.

There's probably a few on this list who'd be comfortable editing an
Office doc in vi, but I personally wouldn't recommend it. 8)

A /complete/ sharing solution may need to include the users and
their need for some X Windows apps. The OP didn't state such a need
explicitly but to me it seemed implied that the FreeBSD PC needs to
open the Windows files and probably vice versa.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348