3Ware Escalade Issues

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Wed Feb 22 10:24:23 PST 2006

Charles Swiger wrote:

>>> If you update to 5.x or later, you can use background FSCK rather  than
>>
>> having to
>>
>>> wait for the FSCK to complete the way it does under 4.x.
>>

>> I wasn't aware 5.x could do this. My next question is how are my
>> existing
>> apps going to be affected by upgrading to 5.x?
>

> If you install the 4.x compatibility libraries, your old 4.x binaries
> should continue to work just fine.  However, you will want to rebuild
> as much of your existing software under 5.x as possible.
>
>>> Also, if you update to 5.x, you can run the smartmon tools, which
>>> will let
>>
>> you
>>
>>> do a drive self-test using SMART, this will give much better
>>> information
>>
>> about
>>
>>> what is going on with the drive, and also give an estimate of its
>>> remaining
>>> lifespan.
>>

>> Yes, this would help a lot!!!
>

> Well, once you're running 5.x, install smartmon and run: "smartctl -t
> long /dev/ad0", or whatever the right device is.
>
>>> How old are the drives, if you know?
>>

>> They're less than 2 years old, and still under warranty. This is  the
>> second
>> drive to fail and it's driving me nuts.
>>
>> They're Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y250P0 250 GB PATA drives...  Never
>> had a
>> problem with that particular drive until this batch.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest some good 250GB PATA drives for me to use? I  might as
>> well swap them all out since I'm starting over. The 6000 series  Escalade
>> card I'm using doesn't support anything more than 250 GB.
>

> I've had somewhat better luck with the so-called "special edition"
> variants of the drives, such as the WD1200JB, which have more cache  RAM
> and a longer warranty period than the generic versions....

According to Western Digital, ONLY their 'SD' or (RAID-Edition) drives should be
attempted in an array; WDC utilizes proprietary error correction mechanisms
which mangle the error-handling done by an array controller. In short, while the
drive is doing it's internal error-correction, the raid controller sees it as a
drive failure and a whole new mess develops.

We've run into this several times now, both with our own in-house systems, and
with those we've procured for others... trust me on this, if going with Western
Digital drives... DO NOT use anything other than their 'SD' or RAID-Edition
drives. Maxtor drives have no such issue AFAIK, nor Seagate... but only speaking
from experience here not factual data. - WDC has a good explanation int he
knowledge base on their website/support section.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.