Haven't been able to make world in about a year

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 17:12:57 PST 2006

On 2/21/06, Kris Anderson <ciscoaix at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Kristian Vaaf <vaaf at broadpark.no> wrote:
>

> > Hello!
> >
> > I don't know what's wrong. But all my makes error
> > out.
> > I've tried over and over again. And sent about a
> > dozen e-mails to this list.
> >
> > http://www.home.no/hedhnta/result.txt
> >
> > When doing:
> >
> > cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile
> >
> > And then running:
> >
> > cd /usr/src \
> > && make buildworld \
> > && make buildkernel KERNCONF=ARBA \
> > && make installkernel KERNCONF=ARBA \
> > && make installworld \
> > && mergemaster \
> > && make clean \
> > && rm -rf /usr/obj/*
> >
> > This is how it's done, no?
> Sort of done like that. Looking at the FreeBSD
> handbook it says:
>  make buildworld
>  make buildkernel KERNCONF=ARBA
>  make installkernel KERNCONF=ARBA
>  reboot
>
>     Note: There are a few rare cases when an extra run
> of mergemaster -p is needed before the buildworld
> step. These are described in UPDATING. In general,
> though, you can safely omit this step if you are not
> updating across one or more major FreeBSD versions.
>
> After installkernel finishes successfully, you should
> boot in single user mode (i.e. using boot -s from the
> loader prompt). Then run:
>
>  mergemaster -p
>  make installworld
>  mergemaster
>  reboot
> > Please help me.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Vaaf
> Hope that helps.

The first step I would suggest is to*

root# mv /etc/make.conf /etc/make.backup

and retry the build.  If it still gives the syntax error at csh build,

root# rm -r /usr/src/contrib && cvsup -g -L1 /etc/cvsupfile

because cvsup (afik, ianal, iaanaaoavss) only checks the file header

/* $Header: /src/pub/tcsh/sh.h,v 3.133 2005/03/25 18:46:41 kim Exp $ */

if the rest of the file has some form of corruption within, cvsup won't
know that, and will fail to refetch it, so you remove the appearantly
offending file or files and (hopefully) it build okay.

*Note that I believe buildworld and such default to -O if no /etc/make.conf
exists.  Again, I could be very mistaken.  Greviously so.