More questions on Samba Print server

Graham North northg at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 21 17:01:28 PST 2006

Hi Andreas and Questions to All:

Well, I took some of your advice and my system is now printing - thank you!
The BSD setup recommendations are much more complicated than a couple of
other Samba references which I have been reading...?

I had already installed APSFilter last summer, and had a working
configuration so I new the success was lurking about somewhere.  Trouble
is, I have been labouring under the assumption that I should be able to
use the print services WITHOUT logging on as a user first.  My previous
attempts and this one, still require that I first log onto the network
as a user.   I have been hoping to set it up to be self-logging at time
of use.

Is it not possible for the printer to be setup using the nobody acount
to essentially be a passwordless entry?  Does yours work that way?
If not - if any other users out there can share some secrets in this
regard...?

Finally, the printer share comments do not show  up anywhere in
Windows.   My other shares display their comments, the lp on my server
has for the comment field  "ljet4l; r=300x300...."  Not "laser ljet4l on
www_server" as per my share comment below.
Any suggestions what might be going on here??
Thanks Andreas, or to anyone else who can step in with answers.
Cheers,

My new smb.conf as per most of your suggestions:
# smb.conf    20060220 - re-write - simplify
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not many any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

    workgroup = DELNORTE
    encrypt passwords = yes
    server string = www_server
    browseable = yes
    printing = bsd
#    print command = lpr -s -P %p %s; rm %s
    hosts allow = 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.102 192.168.1.103

    wins support = no

==============================
[gn]
    comment = Soleado WebServer
    path = /home/gn
    browseable = yes
    valid users = gn
    writeable = yes

[wqs]
    comment = WQS  WebServer
    path = /home/wqs
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    valid users = gn wqs

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer

[printers]
    comment = laser ljet4l on www_server
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = yes