Making APC 500 Back UPS (basic) work with FreeBSD

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Tue Feb 21 11:02:11 PST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:35:40AM -0600, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:

> I think in this case, he was referring to extra sensory perception. But,
> since this is evidently a model that just sits there and supplies
> backup power until the battery is too depleted to AC power to the
> computer at an acceptable level, and at that point the computer shuts
> off. I would say this model is not capable of esp.

I'd say the original assessment was correct in that ESP was the *only*
possible way to read the status of a UPS which doesn't have an external
monitoring interface.  :-)

The very very old units often had simple status lines which could be
monitored with special software thru a parallel printer port.

If the UPS has a warning buzzer he could put a microphone on a sound
card and listen for the buzzer. The buzzes often come faster just before
the UPS breathes its last breath. If one does such a thing we've already
got a name for it, ESP.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net