Making APC 500 Back UPS (basic) work with FreeBSD

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 08:47:33 PST 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 10:08, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 February 2006 08:26, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
> >> No.  If your UPS isn't smart and does not have an external USB or
> >> serial port, apcupsd has nothing to work with.
> >
> > As best I can tell from the OP's description, and the APC website,
> > they all have a UPS port. Go from there.
>
> All of the new Smart-UPS APC models that they are selling now have
> USB ports.
>
> There are plenty of older models around in the channel, and there is
> the entire Back-UPS model line that are not "smart", and thus have no
> monitoring/shutdown capabilities.  See the Subject: header...

Then, thats got to be a really old, old one. I've been working (playing
with actually) with computers since the color computer. I won't admit
to anything further back than that. I've never seen one that didn't
have some means of communication (monitoring). Not from APC anyway.

I think the model number from the case would tell us a lot. I think...
therefore I sometimes blow smoke.

Don