Making APC 500 Back UPS (basic) work with FreeBSD

Tue Feb 21 07:53:20 PST 2006

At 10:32 2006-02-21, Peter wrote:

>--- Ian Lord <lordi at msdi.ca> wrote:
>
> > At 09:09 2006-02-21, manish jain wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >   I just purchased an APC 500 Back UPS (the
> > > basic model, not the pro/smart one). It does
> > > not have any serial/usb interface. Can I get
> > > apcupsd or any other daemon to work with it so
> > > that the system automatically shuts down before backup supply runs out
> > ?
> > >
> > >   If someone can attach a sample configuration file, I shall be
> > grateful.
> > >
> > >   Thanks
> > >   Manish Jain
> >
> > How do you think freebsd will know the ups is
> > about to stop providing energy if the ups has no serial or usb port ?
> >
> > :)
>
>Maybe he can try using the ESP protocol?

Not too sure what you are talking about, the only esp protocol I know
is for encryption during a vpn connection... But basically, this ups
is so "dumb" the only connection between the pc and the ups is
through the power cable... Unless you find a way to communicate
through that, there is no way you can know there is a power outage
(lol unless there is a speaker and you use a microphone to listen for
the alarm :)