Path And 'cron'

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Tue Feb 21 07:25:17 PST 2006

Warren Block wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>
>> In case you're interested (or anyone else listening), it seems that
>> 'chown' likes to live in /usr/sbin - i.e., A place not in the default
>> path.  As it happens, a root cron task is trying to run a script
>> that uses 'chown' and is thus failing.  I can change the PATH just
>> for root's crontab and solve the problem.  I was just curious if there
>> was a way to more broadly modify the defaults used by cron.
>

> The standard solution would be to use a full path to the command in the
> script (/usr/sbin/chown).  If it's used in multiple locations, defining
> it as a shell variable makes it maintainable:
>
> CHOWN="/usr/sbin/chown"
>
> ${CHOWN} somefile
> ${CHOWN} anotherfile
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

The problem in this case is that it is not a shell script I own
or maintain - it is the shell script provided with 'nessus' to update
its plugins.  I could certainly modify the script, but then I'd have
to remember to do this every time I upgraded the program.  I prefer
"fire and forget" solutions that take care of themselves automatically.
Hence my desire to be able to change the default path cron uses in
some config file....

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com