3Ware Escalade Issues

Don O'Neil don at lizardhill.com
Sun Feb 19 04:35:27 PST 2006

Hi all,
  I've been experiencing some problems with my 3ware Escalade 6000 array
lately that has been causing spontaneous reboots of the system.

There appears to be a bad sector on one of the drives according to smartctl,
but nothing serious.

However, every time the system tried to write to that sector in the array,
the system would freeze, and then reboot, and of course it would say the
file system isn't clean, etc...

Since the file system is 1 TB in size, it would take 8+ hours to FSCK it.
The array is only striped, and not mirrored or built with redunancy. I'm
basically using the card/driver to make one large volume for a web server.

I have a few questions:

1) Is this a known bug? I'm running FreeBSD 4.11 (for software compatibility
issues at the moment, I will upgrade at some point in the future)

2) How can I trap the errors and eliminate the re-boot issue?

3) Is there some way I can do a faster FSCK, or perhaps 'fool' the system
into thinking the file system is clean?

4) Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks all!!!