Issues with new soundcard

Beech Rintoul akbeech at alaskaparadise.com
Sat Feb 18 19:27:27 PST 2006

On Saturday 18 February 2006 17:40, David LeCount wrote:
> I just got a new motherboard (Tyan S2895) with a
> soundcard built in. I really don't have any choice at
> the time but to use that soundcard since there isn't a
> free PCI slot for my old one. The card is detected by
> the module snd_ich and I can play music and adjust the
> mixer with no errors, but there is simply no volume
> whatsoever. I've checked to make sure my sound system
> was connected properly and that both the main and pcm
> volumes were turned up. The card is enabled in the
> CMOS. I've ran out of ideas. I'm running FreeBSD 6
> stable updated just today. Here's the output from cat
> /dev/sndstat.
>
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <nVidia nForce4> at io 0x1800, 0x1400 irq 22
> bufsz 16384 kld snd_ich (1p/1r/4v channels duplex
> default)

Check your line-out jumpers. Most new motherboards come with the option of
front panel sound, in which case the sound loops through the front panel
connector. If you're not using front panel sound you probably need jumpers on
the motherboard. Your manual should tell you about this. I ran into a similar
problem with another motherboard a few weeks ago.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - akbeech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com