Bandwidth Problems with Freebsd 5.x

Mathieu CHATEAU gollum123 at free.fr
Sat Feb 18 10:32:12 PST 2006

Saturday, February 18, 2006, 3:42:47 PM, you wrote:

p> Hello everybody,

p> I am writing here because I have a problem with network on freebsd 5.3
p> and 5.4. The machines are pluged in a 100 Mbit/s with via rhine network
p> cards. On this same LAN  I have a Debian Sarge computer. When I try to
p> transferts big files beetween the FreeBSD and the Debian, I see that I
p> have an assymetric bandwith :

>>From Debian to BSD : No problem. The bandwitdh is OK : About 8 MBytes/s
p> which is normal for a LAN I guess.
>>From BSD to Debian : The bandwidth is quite awful => Beetween 300
p> KBytes/s to 1Mbyte/s.

p> Network have been changed and the problem is still the same. So I
p> thought it was a network problem. Then I installed an other FreeBSD on a
p> different computer and plugged it in a completely different network and
p> the problem is still here. That's why I think there is a thing to
p> configure on the BSD system but I don't know why.

p> That's why I am looking here for someone who knows this problem and who
p> will be able to help me.

p> Thank you for your answers

p> Best Regards,
p> ptitoliv
p> To unsubscribe, send any mail to
p> "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe at freebsd.org"

what about netstat -e on each host ?
(looking for errors)
are you on swicthes ?
Are the switches port on auto or forced ?
when doing an ifconfig -a, are you in 100 full duplex ?
Are you using proftpd  /wuftpd ?

Mathieu CHATEAU