question on NAT for multiple subnets

Greg Barniskis gregb at scls.lib.wi.us
Fri Feb 17 10:13:46 PST 2006

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> I've never done it but I think you can run multiple nat instances
> and multiple divert sockets, you will have to specify them in the
> config file to natd, though.

Excellent. That's what I was hoping for. So instead of one "divert
natd" rule in ipfw, I simply need "divert N", "divert N+1", "divert
N+2", etc. where N is a port number where I bound my first natd, N+1
the next natd instance, etc. I think I can manage that.

> If it were me, though, I would try to
> setup multiple FreeBSD boxes, not only does that give you some
> redundancy, but it makes troubleshooting a lot easier.

Thanks, but we're talking about a need for somewhere between 54 and
216 distinct NAT<->subnet instances, maybe more. I really need a
solution for one host, two NICs, that compares favorably to
providing this functionality with a PIX.