Crashing with FreeBSD 6.0R

Jeremy Kister freebsd-01 at jeremykister.com
Thu Feb 16 14:46:31 PST 2006

I've got four brand new identical HP DL360 systems, each with Dual Xeon
2.8ghz (with Hyperthreading on).

All four of them are randomly crashing in the same manner.

Each server is running FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE, running identical software
and is set up in an identical manner (besides hostname, ip, etc).  The
only difference is that one of the four acts as a NFS server for
/usr/ports, while the other three use AMD to access the volume, on rare
occasion.

Each of the four servers primary purpose is to deal with incoming mail.
  Each runs an identical flavor of daemontools, ucspi-tcp, and qmail.

each kernel dump says that "tcpserver" was the process running during a
page fault, but I would bet that the problem has nothing to do with
tcpserver.

I've tried disabling hyperthreading in the operating system (via
removing /boot/loader.conf:machdep.hyperthreading_allowed=1)...  No changes.

I could try disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS to see if the crashing
stops.  I could also upgrade to 6.1beta if there was any reason to.

for the output of "kgdb kernel.debug /var/crash/vmcore.2", see:
http://jeremy.kister.net./tmp/freebsd-crash.txt

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./