core dump with dump command in single user mode

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Feb 16 06:25:35 PST 2006

Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> writes:

> I'm running 5.4. Perhaps restore is generating this particular error
> message? I don't know.

It would be hard to tell, without an intermediate disk to write the
data to so you can separate the dump from the restore.  You might be
able to trace one of the processes to see, but that requires a bit of
technical knowledge.

> I may have to go this route, see if I can put together the disk space
> to manage this. Is there a way to get tar to just extract directly to
> a destination directory so I don't have to contend with a single
> large tarball I need to create disk space for?

Sure.  As far as I'm concerned, that's the normal way to copy
directory trees.  You just pipe the output of the tar process into
another tar process that un-tars it in another place.

E.g.:
tar -C ~/work/debugger -cf - . | tar -C temp -xf -

> >>                  My disk is over a 100 gigabytes, could this be what
> >> is causing dump to crap out?
> >
> > Could be.  Check your memory statistics while you're doing it, and see
> > if you run out of VM.
>
> What is a good strategy for dealing with this possibility, should I
> go down that path?

Start by watching top(1) while it's running...