Help with the disappearing keys

John S dev02 at kvanix.com
Wed Feb 15 13:46:50 PST 2006

When I start the system and get to the lines:

Sun Feb 12 14:17:52 CET 2006

FreeBSD/i386 (jfs000) (ttyv0)

login:

I can type my login which is john, but I can also type the letters ÅÄÖ
or åäö.
But as soon as I log in as john (or root) and see the message of the day
and the prompt:

$

I can no longer type ÅÄÖ or åäö - all I get is beep for each key press
for those keys.

Note also that my /etc/rc.conf has the lines

font8X8="iso-8x8"
font8x14="iso-8x14"
font8x16="iso-8x16"
keymap="swedish.iso"

Also

I set up the login classes as per the handbook and that appearently went
well.
I use only USB mouse and keyboard and not AT keyboard or mouse.

What is the difference in the keyboard (or console or terminal) before
and after the logon?

Grateful for any tips!

Thanks!
 /John