daemontools - djbdns

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Feb 15 06:03:16 PST 2006

Yance Kowara wrote:
> [...]

Try Matt's new version of the HowTo, it is at
http://www.tnpi.biz/internet/dns/djbdns-freebsd.shtml
and the links work fine. He moved everything to his new domain some time
ago.

I've installed daemontools on lots of servers, many heavily loaded,
running FreeBSD / NetBSD / Solaris. I have always followed Dan's
suggested install paths and I have never had a single issue. I don't
even use the start script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, I still edit
/etc/rc.local. Mainly because I have three OSs, and three versions of
FreeBSD, two of which handle startup differently (4.10 and 5.4).

While I agree it may be bad "form" to use Dan's paths. I do not believe
it is bad in general, as in harmful. So while Matt's HowTo may not be in
sync with current FreeBSD thinking it is a well documented, working
procedure. A new user will have a successful install following it.

DAve