Sendmail - IMAP-UW - Cyrus-SASL2 - SMTPAUTH problems

Greg Groth ggroth99 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 14 08:16:07 PST 2006

Sorry for the double submission, I totally screwed up.  I have added my
response this time...

>From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at toybox.placo.com>
>To: "Joe Auty" <joe at netmusician.org>, "Kirk Davis" <Kirk.Davis at epsb.ca>
>CC: "Greg Groth" <ggroth99 at hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
>Subject: RE: Sendmail - IMAP-UW - Cyrus-SASL2 - SMTPAUTH problems
>Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:34:28 -0800
>

>I'm sure glad that this message didn't pass through my work mailserver
>so that it's didn't see it, since my work e-mail inbox has 16383 messages
>in it  (the limit that Outlook can display in IMAP mode) and is 412
>megabytes
>in size, and performance is perfectly fine both with Outlook and
>Horde/IMP.
>
>I wouldn't want my mailserver reading it and thinking that it's OK to
>slack off.
>
>   And yes I know I need to delete
>some messages, speak to the hand if your going to make that crack.
>
>This is imap-uw/sendmail.
>
>Perhaps you might consider that since you haven't run imap-uw in
>a while that your no longer qualified to make claims about it?  Or
>perhaps
>you never had it setup properly?  Or perhaps your hardware was slow?
>
>Nothing is wrong with Postfix / Courier-IMAP but nothing is wrong either
>with sendmail / uw-imap.
>
>Ted

I appreciate both of your comments, as I have stated I am new to BSD.  Part
of my problem is the huge amount of software available, and no good way to
determine what will work better for my situation.  Perhaps if I explain my
situation, it would help some.  We've been running Sendmail and a
POP-Before-SMTP script for the last 6 years on a Redhat box.  I think it
started out on 5.2, and was up to 7.3 when it crashed 3 weeks ago.  I had
been planning to upgrade the server, and had a new box ready to go, but I
had stalled on the OS.  I didn't want to go down the Redhat route because of
strictly personal issues that are more opinions than fact, and a friend
suggest FreeBSD.

The server crash pretty much forced my hand, and my goal was to replicate
what we had in place ASAP.  Because of my (limited) knowledge of Sendmail, I
went that route as I know nothing of the alternatives.  I went with IMAP-UW
because not because of anything I had read, but because I was attempting to
get the POP-Before-SMTP port to work (which it didn't - long story), and
IMAP-UW seemed a good alternative as it is a POP and IMAP server and was
easily configured in POP-Before-SMTP.

Since I could not find a POP-Before-SMTP solution that I could get to
operate (I had problems with POP-Before-SMTP, and DRAC before throwing in
the towel), I decided to switch to SMTP-AUTH.  So here's my situation, we
have about 25 users on the server.  I need POP and IMAP that will operate
with and without SSL, and SMTP that can handle SMTP-AUTH with and without
SSL.  Out of the 25 users, I have 3 that are email packrats, and have
between 2-4 gigs of email apiece.  They are currently using POP on Outlook
Express, but will be switching over to IMAP on Thunderbird in the near
future (I also have 5 users that I'm not sure what client they are using,
we're hosting their domain - long story).  Our office peronnel will be
migrating to IMAP, using SSL when out of the office, and plain text when in.
  The five users in which we are hosting their email will remain on POP, and
although SSL would be nice, I want the ability to offer plain text in case I
run into client issues.  Similar circumstances for SMTP, I can relay by
domain for users on our network, and would like to use SMTP-AUTH for off-ste
users.  SSL preferred, but offer plain text in case of client issues.  Last
issue would be something that will play nice with SquirrelMail.

Although I'm very familiar with administering Sendmail (starting, stopping,
backing up, running makemaps), configuring is another story.  While SMTP is
pretty much running as stable as it ever has, I still have issues from time
to time.  For instance I am sending this from Hotmail as this list is
currently bouncing email from my server because of some error I have not
investigated yet.  At this moment I am pretty much open to anything, but I
don't have a good way of evaluating different options other than trial and
error (and I'm kind of short on time).  I know that a lot of times it comes
down to peronal taste (my reason for dumping Redhat), but sometimes there
are specific issues that will make a certain solution better than others.
Based off of my stated needs and my current issues (Sendmail configuration),
is there a better solution, or is what I have now pretty much the same as
other alternatives for my specfic needs?

Thank you both for your attention to this matter.

Greg Groth