IntelSRCS16 SATA RAID Controller

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Feb 14 01:09:12 PST 2006

I think you mean the SE7320EP2?  That is not an entry server board.  The
entry server board is the E72xx-based boards, the E7320, E7520 and E7525
are the 'regular' non-entry level server motherboards.

According to the following:

http://www.intel.com/design/servers/RAID/SRCS16/index.htm

the SRCS16 raid controller is comprised of 3 SiI3112A SATA controllers.

The SiI3112 is  listed in the FreeBSD 6.0 ata manpage as being a
supported controller.

The Silicon Image Medley metadata format is listed in the FreeBSD 6.0
ataraid manpage
as being readable.  I would assume the SiL3112A uses this metadata
format.

I think also both ethernet controllers on this motherboard are supported.

I can tell you from experience that the Intel SE7210TP1-E motherboard
works, but it uses the Intel Pro/1000 ethernet chip and the Intel 6300
ESB
sata raid controller.

at worst you might have to e-mail Soren if FreeBSD 6.0 does not recognize
your raid array, but it would be a very minor change in the code to add
it's
identification strings to the driver, since all the heavy lifting code is
already
there.

Unfortunately, SATA raid is pretty bleeding edge still, even Windows XP
users
have had problems with drivers for it working right.  You won't have
proof
positive until you boot it.  That is why it's important to buy
motherboards from
a retailer who will take them back for exchange if needed.

Ted